Deadlines for Calgary's Building Maintenance Bylaw to complete a BEVA (Building Exterior Visual Assessment) apply to the following types of buildings:If your building is 5 stories or more and 10 or more years old, you will be required to complete your BEVA by the prescribe deadlines laid out by the city. The purpose of The City of Calgary's Building Maintenance Bylaw is to better protect the public by requiring the exterior of buildings to be visually assessed for required repairs every 5 years. The city will mail out a reminder notice to the registered building owners who require the Building Exterior Visual Assessment completed in that year for their buildings.
Age of Building as of January 1, 2016:
- 45 years or older January 1, 2018 (Deadline for Filing BEVA)
- 25 – 44 years old January 1, 2019 (Deadline for Filing BEVA)
- 15 – 24 years old January 1, 2020 (Deadline for Filing BEVA)
- 10 – 14 years old January 1, 2021 (Deadline for Filing BEVA)
If your building has been chosen for an audit:Request: A SCO will request in writing for a copy of the buildings BEVA.
Submission of Request: The building owner is to send the BEVA to the Safety Code Officer.
Upon receipt, BEVA will be reviewed by the SCO.
- If no response, a second request will be made.
- If no response from the third request, a charge could be laid under the bylaw.
- Qualifications of the person who completed the BEVA and will be recorded in the system
- SCO will ensure that proper follow-up of information and timeline for actions to rehabilitate building components that have been reported as:
- “needs attention” – time line for repairs is needed
- “not acceptable” – ensure repairs are completed and building owner must be reported to the Chief Building Official