The Building Sciences Practice Leader role is responsible for overall management of the engineering department, specific project investigation, reporting, specification preparation, field reviews, training and mentoring of junior staff, as well as liaising with clients, contractors and manufacturers.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the overall management of the engineering department
- Responsible for planning and scheduling of the work to accommodate the commitments of the various assignments
- Conduct and supervise field review/testing and data collection, design and specification preparation and contract administration; work may include but is not limited to the following:
- Collect field data and prepare Reserve Fund Studies and Capital Expenditure Plan Reports
- Collect field data and prepare performance audits, technical/building audits or other investigative reports complete with observations, conclusions, recommendations and repair budgets
- Collect field data required for the preparation of repair / rehabilitation specifications, drawings and tender documents
- Conduct onsite quality assurance observations/field reviews to verify adherence to prepared specifications
- Provide project management and related contract administration
- Liaise with clients, contractors and manufacturers
- Prepare condition assessment reports
- Prepare drawings and specifications for rehabilitation projects
- Manage construction of rehabilitation projects
- Assist department heads with project technical support, guidance and review of completed work prior to delivery to the client
- Promote team building, quality, public relations, enthusiasm, ethics, initiative and reliability from employees
- Identify and regularly consult with various clients/organizations of up-coming projects where a relationship has been established
- Ensure work area is maintained in a clean and orderly manner and that personnel comply with the company safety policy
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned by management
Requirements & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil/Structural or Mechanical Engineering with specialization in Building Science Engineering with P.Eng. designation, or an Architect with specialization in Building Science with BC registration
- PMP designation is an asset
- Minimum 5+ years’ experience in a consulting engineering/architecture environment managing building science and / or structural restoration projects
- Proficient with AutoCAD and Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to provide leadership to junior engineers/technicians
- Excellent written, oral and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively both independently and in a team environment
- Demonstrated willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- Self-motivating and ability to multi-task while maintaining a strong attention to detail
- Ability to act with business integrity
- Ability to act as a agent of the company for business development and managing contracts with clients.
How to Apply
To express your interest in this position, please send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Kindly indicate the position and location in the email subject line.
Note that while all submissions will be reviewed, only those that are to be considered for an interview will be contacted.
IRC is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation is available for applicants selected for an interview.