Hazardous Materials (HazMat) consulting is a new and growing service in our BC branch. It complements our existing Roofing, Building Envelope, Structural and Building Sciences service lines. The incumbent of this role will have the opportunity to perform HazMat-related consulting services at different project sites throughout BC and provide coordination functions for a variety of clients. The Technician will work closely with both Roofing and Building Sciences groups and will be cross trained in other areas of building assessment methods, tools and technologies.
The technical portion of the job involves performing on-site surveys, assessments and inspections relating to HazMats and other chemical/biological substances. Report preparation skills are essential and strong English grammar skills are a minimum requirement.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist in the preparation of proposals for hazmat consulting services
- Perform field work, including visits to sites and bulk sample collection/investigations
- Conduct site surveys and assessments – asbestos, lead, mould etc.
- Interpret and analyze sample results in relation to WorkSafeBC requirements and industry-accepted guidelines
- Prepare HazMat surveys, mould assessment and/or abatement inspection reports
- Inspect abatement projects for regulatory compliance and exposure prevention/control
- Prepare Clearance Letters for hazardous materials abatement projects
- Assumed budget responsibility for coordinated projects and assist with invoicing
- Liaise with clients, contractors, laboratories and WorkSafeBC officers
- Develop business and maintain positive client relationships
- Effectively wear and maintain Personal Protective Equipment (i.e., respirator)
- Work effectively both in and out of the office (approximately 50% field work, 50% office work)
- Maintain professional accreditations and associated professional development requirements
- Assist Building Sciences projects if and when required
Requirements & Qualifications
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in construction technology, architectural technology, engineering, occupational health & safety, industrial hygiene or a Bachelor of Science or Applied Science
- Related certificates or licenses (i.e. AHERA, ROHT, CRSP, CET) would be an asset
- Minimum 2 years of experience as a Technician in HazMat consulting services
- Working knowledge of environmental and health & safety legislation/guidelines
- Familiarity with building systems (structure, envelope, HVAC, electrical, plumbing, etc.)
- Experience reading and interpreting architectural drawings
- Experience working with environmental monitoring equipment
- Excellent technical report writing and coordination skills are a strict requirement
- Basic drafting (AutoCAD) skills considered an asset
- Strong, time management, communication (written and verbal) and organizational skills with an ability to follow detailed instructions and a high attention to detail
- Ability to undergo security clearances and/or drug and alcohol testing in order to gain access to certain job sites
- Ability to work at heights (rooftops, man lifts, ladders, etc.)
- Reliable personal vehicle required - $2,000,000 in liability insurance and valid license for travel in and out of the city to visit job sites
- Access to a vehicle that can safely transport field equipment (i.e., ladders, tools, totes).
- Flexibility to work some evenings and weekends, as required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, Power Point, Outlook)
- Must be eligible to work in Canada and be willing to travel throughout BC with majority of projects located in the Lower Mainland
How to Apply
To express your interest in this position, please send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Kindly indicate the position and location in the email subject line.
Note that while all submissions will be reviewed, only those that are to be considered for an interview will be contacted.
IRC is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation is available for applicants selected for an interview.